The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon is the first private faculty in Syria. It was established in the academic year of 2004-2005. Until 2018-2019 about 951 students graduated.
The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon was established to provide the health sector with highly qualified doctors occupying their places among the distinguished doctors at the local and international levels alike.
It is a pleasure that you choose to study at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon. The University spares no effort to make your dreams come true. It qualifies you to be distinguished doctors who improve the health of our sons and the world’s. It also qualifies you to serve humankind. We will provide you with everything you feel important to paving your way in life easily, successfully and confidently.
As we enter 21st century, the astonishing era of scientific and medical development, we notice that there is an increase in the vocational education and training to keep abreast of the necessities of the huge scientific development of lifelines. The faculty with its entire utilities, laboratories, the Medical City, the systematic and extra activities is ready to ensure the best and optimal academic and training needs. We should also know that a nation is highly valued by science and achievements it has. You, the generation of the future, hold this responsibility.
Dear colleagues at the Faculty,
It is a pleasure for the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon to employ prominent medical academics in Syria. You hold the responsibility for preparing qualified and promising medical students responsible for bringing forward the health status and medical research in Syria.
Dear colleagues in the Medical City,
The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon thanks you for your efforts to ensure the best health care service. It is worth mentioning that the hospital ranks first in the field of clinical training for the medical students of private universities in Syria. It is also distinguished, in the area, of the specialist medical service it presents.
The faculty seeks excellence in medical education that combines originality, modernity and keeping abreast with the practical and scientific advances.
The faculty seeks to be a leading light in the field of qualifying medical doctors with high efficiency, capable of providing the best health care for patients and aware of the health needs of society. It also cements the cultural bonds with all medical faculties and scientific bodies in Syria as well as the Arab and foreign health institutions.
At the level of education and research: The faculty teaches a curriculum that is designed to qualify medical students to be efficient doctors capable of meeting the health needs of people and society in an excellent way. Consequently, they will be able to compete at the local and international levels, and have a lot of stamina to pursue higher studies and do research scientifically and systematically. Based on teamwork, the University of Kalamoon contributes to the development of medical services to meet health problems of high priority in a scientific and practical way in accordance with the international medical advances taking advantage of the laboratories and equipment the University has.
At the level of health care services and social participation: The Faculty of Medicine ensures high-qualified and safe health care for logical costs via the Medical City of the University. It also helps identify and meet the health needs of our society in coordination with the health care competent authorities. All of that is done through practice and education.
- Qualifying medical doctors as high-qualified general practitioners who are aware of the health needs of society, and capable of pursuing higher studies and doing scientific researches that link the University with society.
- Developing the university medical education depending on the scientific and applied medical procedures in accordance with the contemporary and scientific development.
- Raising the spirit of medical teamwork, i.e., qualifying medical students capable of working within an effective team and having communication skills.
- Contributing to develop teaching methodology and scientific research using advanced educational aids that are in harmony with internationally-accredited scientific research bases.
- Providing students with academic guidance during undergraduate and post graduate programmes as well as helping alumni to choose the optimal scientific course.
- Encouraging the cultural, artistic, social and athletic activities which build students’ characters from an intellectual, social and health point of view.
- Deepening the cultural ties with all the faculties, health centers and scientific bodies in Syria as well as Arab and foreign institutions.
– Department of Internal Medicine
– Department of Physiology and Drugs
– Department of Laboratory Medicine
– Department of Anatomy & Tissue & Fetus
– Department of Genetics and Medical Biology
– Department of Surgery
– Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
– Department of Pediatrics
– Department of Dermatology
– Department of Anesthesiology & Recovery & Intensive Care
– Department of Diagnostic Radiology
– Department of Community Medicine
– Department of Head Diseases
Faculty Administrative Structure
It is comprised of the dean, vice dean for the scientific affairs, heads of departments, secretary (a technical staff member) and student representative. The council holds a weekly meeting, discusses the mechanisms of developing the educational process and clinical training at the faculty and makes the appropriate decisions on various scientific, administrative and student affairs.
- Wael Abdul Mawla Basha.
- Mouafak Nofal.
According to a proposal from the Faculty of Medicine and approval of the University Council, the Private University of Kalamoon awards a BSc in Medicine after studying for six years at the maximum. The student is required to complete 265 credit hours successfully to gain this degree. It is worth mentioning that the first batch of students graduated in the academic year of 2009-2010.
The faculty has a number of laboratories designed for teaching purposes where medical students carry out the practical part of the courses, they are:
- Laboratory of Clinical Skills
- Laboratory of Physiology
- Laboratory of Biochemistry
- Laboratory of Tissue
- Laboratory of Fetus
- Laboratory of Anatomy (4)
- Laboratory of Toxicology & Forensic Medicine
- Laboratory of Microbiology
- Laboratory of Drugs
- Laboratory of Histopathology
Clinical training is done in the Medical City Hospital of the University of Kalamoon.
The faculty organizes scientific days and seminars about various diseases, important medical topics and the latest medical and health news. In addition, the faculty participated in several conferences and specialist seminars, and organized specific- purpose trips.
The faculty organized in the previous years:
- a scientific day about heart diseases and
- a scientific day about heart diseases, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- a scientific day entitled “Obesity is the Disease of the Era.”
- a seminar entitled “Diabetes.”
- a seminar entitled “Domestic Violence between Medicine and Law.”
The faculty also participated in the sixth Arab seminar for using antibiotics which was held from 16-19/10/2009 in the city of Rabat – Morocco.
Cooperation Agreements with Arab and Foreign Universities
The Faculty of Medicine is keen on promoting cooperation with Arab and foreign prestigious universities and health institutions in the field of student training and experience exchange. In this context, the faculty signed cooperation agreements with a number of regional, European and American universities and hospitals including the Educational Hospital of Berlin University, the University Hospitals of Cairo and Ain Shams, the hospitals of Saudi and Lebanese ministries of health and the hospitals of the Syrian ministries of health and defense.
The Medical City was inaugurated on 18/8/2011. It is an integrated medical city which was established to complete the great project- i.e. the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Kalamoon, and to be an ideal place and a specialist hospital. It is the most important hospital among the private educational sector hospitals for both the engineering aspects and construction and the medical equipment conforming to the highest international standards. The Medical City Hospital is keen on attracting the highest efficient medical doctors, nurses and technicians of all specialties who work around the clock.
The hospital is looking forward to the opening of unique sections such as renal transplantation, organ transplant, human fertilization… etc.
It is noteworthy that fourth, fifth and sixth medical students perform their clinical practice in the Medical City Hospital.