The Faculty of Dentistry at the Private University of Kalamoon was established in 2004, and in the beginning it was affiliated to the Faculty of Medicine.
The Faculty of Dentistry was one of the first private faculties which adopted the system of credit hours in Syria.
In early 2006, the faculty had an independent administrative structure so that equipping clinics and laboratories began. We started to employ a group of prominent teaching staff members from our country. Due to the accumulation of administrative experience and development achievements, an outpatient office was established inside the faculty to provide students with appropriate cases under direct supervision by outstanding supervisors saving students’ time and efforts and ensuring the best dental treatments for patients.
In the beginning, the study plan adopted teaching in English since our courses were based on the latest international references. Thus, the faculty received a big number of students including Syrians coming from all the cities across the country and Arabs living the world over.
In 2009, the first batch of students graduated. Over years, the number of alumni started to increase. After graduation, students go back to their countries having comprehensive knowledge the prestigious University of Kalamoon made available for them. And when they get into the labour market, they outshine others. We are proud of them, and they are proud of the University stressing that: “The University of Kalamoon is the beacon of knowledge.”
My colleagues, my brothers and sisters, dear students:
It is my pleasure to welcome you at the website of the Faculty of Dentistry at the Private University of Kalamoon. The faculty is diligently working to keep abreast with the world of science and technology.
Although I occupy an administrative position, I am still eager to be with students in classrooms, laboratories and clinics. The more time I spend with students in the teaching-learning environments and training courses, the happier and more satisfied I become. My students are my first priority, and I from the bottom of my heart wish to provide them with good care. Thus, I consider the faculty staffs including teachers, supervisors and administrative staff, as a close-knit family in a big house and the students are our children, so we work together friendly and harmoniously hoping to get our students to the intended scientific and ethical destination. We also take into consideration our patients who make up a major part in our faculty. Let us spare no effort to provide good health service and treatment for our patients to get them satisfied and gain their trust.
My colleagues and faculty staff:
I hope you work seriously and dedicatedly because we are a work team, and I cannot perform my task successfully but via your cooperation and completing your job perfectly.
The Faculty of Dentistry at the Private University of Kalamoon seeks to teach contemporary dental sciences for undergraduate students to ensure having alumni with scientific, practical and ethical ground to practice the profession immediately or to pursue scientific research in various universities, regional and international.
We are working to achieve this by providing the typical educational environment with prominent teaching staff and infrastructure supplied with the latest equipment (laboratories, clinics, and an outpatient office) to ensure the practical experience for students in parallel with providing patients with the best health service freely.
- Qualifying dentists with high scientific efficiency and enabling them to pursue higher studies of specialty.
- Developing the means and methods of scientific research in the field of dentistry.
- Providing the labor market with enough number of dentists.
- Providing patients with the best health service in various specialties of dentistry by students and under the supervision of teaching staff members, who are of high scientific and practical experience, using the latest technology of treatment.
- Raise the awareness of society about health care and the necessary methods of keeping the mouth and teeth healthy and intact
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Physiology and Drugs
- Department of Laboratory Medicine
- Department of Anatomy & Tissue & Fetus
- Department of Genetics and Medical Biology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Anesthesiology & Recovery & Intensive Care
- Department of Diagnostic Radiology
- Department of Community Medicine
- Department of Head Diseases
It is comprised of the heads of departments and the secretary, and chaired by the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- 2004 – 2006 Prof. Wael Abdul Mawla Basha.
- 2006 – 2009 Prof. Muhammad Safwan Jabir.
- 2009 – 2013 Prof. Imad Kueid
Scientific Degree Awarded:
BSc in Dentistry after completing 177 credit hours.
- Laboratory of Histology &Pathology.
- Laboratory of Operative Dentistry.
- Laboratory of Endodontic.
- Laboratory of Fixed Prothodontics.
- Laboratory of Removable Prothodontics.
- Laboratory of Orthodontics and Dental Materials.
- Laboratory of X-rays.
- Laboratory of Dental Drawing, Sculpting and Anatomy.
- Laboratory of Gypsum.
All of these laboratories are supplied with the latest equipment including educational aids, projectors, head models for practical purposes and monitors for direct view. Each laboratory seats 20 students at the maximum allowing them to receive knowledge better.
Activities and Events:
- The faculty has a specialist consulting clinic affiliated to the training and continuous learning unit where a number of teaching staff members with high and professional experiences provide consultation to students, administrative staff and residents of the area.
- Organizing an “international” interactive meeting for the local school students clarifying the importance of dentistry and how to keep teeth healthy and intact. These school students have been introduced to the laboratories and clinics of the Faculty of Dentistry with the participation of the teaching and technical staff members.
The events start with organizing scientific days, participation in specialist conferences and seminars or receiving them and end with organizing scientific trips.
It is worth mentioning that the main activity of the faculty for the academic year 2009 – 2010 was organizing the Third Scientific Day entitled “The New Restorations and Dental Implants”. The faculty also organized other scientific activities such as scientific lectures, clinical training courses with the participation of a number of outstanding Arab and foreign specialists and exploration trips. In addition, some surgeries carried out by teaching staff members in the Medical City were shown.
Cooperation Agreements with Arab and Foreign Universities:
- A cooperation agreement was held in 2007 between the training and continuous learning unit at the faculty and the Educational Hospital of Berlin University – Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- A cooperation agreement was also held in 2007 between the training and continuous learning unit and the Faculty of Dentistry of Cairo University – Department of Orthodontics.
- A cooperation agreement was held with Eastern Mediterranean University – Cyprus.
- A scientific, cultural and cooperation agreement was held in 2007 with the governmental University of al-Annbar as well as a scientific cooperation agreement with the American University of Oklahoma.
There are five clinics equipped with the latest dental units, four of them include 20 units and the fifth one includes 40 units, taking into consideration left-handed students. These clinics provide patients with high-quality medical service.