System of Study at UOK
|Faculty||Major||Minimum Ratio Required|
|Dentistry||–||70 % Scientific|
|Business and Administration||Business Administration – Finance and Banking||50% Scientific
55% Commercial (all majors)
Communications- Electronics- Architecture
|Information Technology||70% Vocational Stream granted by the Ministry of Education (Computer Technology, Operating Systems and Programming, Computer Networks, Automatic Control)|
|Communications and Electronics||70% Vocational Stream granted by the Ministry of Education (Communications, Electronics, Electronic Technologies)
70% Vocational Stream granted by the Ministry of Communication and Technology (Wireless Communications, Wired Communication, Telephone Switchboards)
|Applied Arts||Interior Design||50% Scientific/Literary Streams
55% Vocational Stream
- The minimum requirement counts after excluding the marks of the Religious Education Course; and one of the foreign languages for the Syrian Certificates.
- For the Non Syrian Certificates, the minimum requirement counts after excluding the marks of Religious Education Course, Sports Course and Conduct.
- Admission shall be based on a differentiation made among the applicants in each Faculty or Major to realize the principle of equal opportunities.
- The admission ratio of 10% applies for holders of the Vocational Baccalaureate Certificates in the major corresponding to their major in the Syrian private universities.
- The differentiation-entry fee of Syrian Lira 3,000 shall be collected.
Required Differentiation Documents:
- A certified copy of the Baccalaureate Certificate.
- A photocopy of the Personal (ID) Identity Card or Passport.
- A (3X4) personal photograph.
Required Documents for Registration in the University:
- Holders of the Syrian Baccalaureates Certificate:
- The genuine Baccalaureate Certificate and four of its duly certified copies.
- A photocopy of the Personal (ID) Identity Card or Passport.
- Six recent personal color photographs.
Holders of the Non Syria Baccalaureate Certificate:
- The genuine Baccalaureate Certificate and four duly copies duly certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- The genuine and a certified photocopy of the scholastic progression for both tenth and eleventh grades.
- The genuine and two photocopies of the ninth grade (Preparatory Certificate) certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Six personal photographs and a photocopy of the Personal (ID) Identity Card or Passport.
Foreign and Private Baccalaureates:
- The genuine Baccalaureate duly certified and translated along with a list of the certified and translated studied school subjects.
- The Baccalaureate Certificate shall be issued by either a school or a State Education Institution. Should it be issued by a Private Non-State School or Institution, a document is requested to authorize registering in the State Universities and Institutions of the country which granted the Certificate.
- Four translated-into-Arabic copies for each the Baccalaureate Certificate and a list of the studied school subjects certified by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Damascus.
- A copy of Preparatory (Intermediate) Certificate or equivalent thereof duly certified (by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs), and translated into Arabic if it is in a foreign language; associated with two copies certified by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Duly certified scholastic progression for both the tenth and eleventh grades associated with the Arabic translation and two certified copies.
- If the Certificate was issued by a foreign school in an Arab country, an official letter from the Ministry of Education in that country is needed to state that this granted certificate is equivalent to the official General Baccalaureate Certificate issued by that Ministry; with two copies of the letter certified by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- A copy of the passport pages showing entrance, exit and residence visa to and from the country granting that certificate during the studying period.
- A photocopy of the Personal (ID) Identity Card + six personal photographs.
- Syrian students shall take the Baccalaureate-equivalent examination in the Ministry of Education – Certificate Equivalence Committee for:
- History of the Arab Nation.
- Geography of the Arab Nation.
- The National Socialist Education.
- The Arabic Language.
N.B. The Baccalaureate Certificates from outside Syria shall be certified by the following official authorities:
- The Ministry of Education in the Certificate issuing country.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Certificate issuing country.
- The Syrian Embassy in the Certificate issuing country.
- The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Requirement for Transfer from other universities as per the Higher Education Council Resolution No. /310/ dated 28/6/2011
From a non Syrian university to a private Syrian university
First, Syrian and non Syrian Students registered in the non Syria (State and Private universities may transfer (Equivalent Transfer) to the Syrian private universities under the following conditions:
- The university in which they are studying should be accredited and recognized in the study country and in the Syrian Arab Republic.
- Transfer should not be permitted from a university which is not accredited in its own country.
- The student’s average should not be less than 10% of the ratios provided in Article (1) of decision No./306/ dated Jun. 28th 2011 with observance to the residency requirement (eight months each academic year); and the average should not be less than 50% in any case.
- The Baccalaureate Certificate held by the transfer applicant should cope with the admission of the university s/he intends to transfer to.
- The student should have passed or succeeded to the second year in the university s/he intends to transfer from if that university follows the annual or semester system; or if s/he passed at least 25 accredited hours if the university follows the accredited hours system. If the student fulfills the required average in the year of admission and s/he wishes to transfer from a private Syrian university; s/he may transfer regardless of the accredited hours he achieved with observance to the residency requirement under the Higher Education Council resolution No. /36/ dated Sep. 9th 2013.
Inside the country
Second, the students registered in the Syrian (State and Private) universities may transfer to the private Syrian universities under the following terms:
- The student shall fulfill the Baccalaureate Certificate average requirement in the year of admission.
- S/he should have studied for a period not less than one semester in the university s/he wished to transfer from.
(Change of Enrollment)
From one major to another in the same university or another one
Third, for the change of enrollment, the student should fulfill the Baccalaureate Certificate average requirement in the year of admission in the major to which the enrollment shall be changed; and the exemption percentage of the accredited hours should not exceed the following ratios:
- In case the student succeeds or passes to the second year, s/he is exempted from 10% of the accredited hours at the most.
- In case the student succeeds or passes to the fourth year, s/he is exempted from 20% of the accredited hours at the most.
- The student shall be exempted from the courses of university requirements and faculty requirements which s/he has successfully fulfilled if the change of enrollment is among the majors of the same faculty of the same university provided that number of accredited hours shall not be less than the hours of the major to where the enrollment will be changed.
Forth, the Intermediate-Institute-Certificate-holder student may be admitted to enroll in the private universities under the following conditions:
- The student’s major shall correspond to the major s/he wishes to register in according to the rules applied by the Ministry of Higher Education (Medical Institute: Human Medicine – Dentistry Institute: Dentistry).
- Her/His cumulative grade point average in the institute certificate should leastwise be (very good).
- If her/his Baccalaureate Certificate average is equal to the admission average in the year of admission, s/he will be admitted regardless of the institute certificate average.
- In both (2-3) cases, the student shall be treated according to the Intermediate Institute Certificate.
- The exemption ratio in the faculties which follow the accredited hours system should not exceed 20% of the number of hours accredited in the faculty which s/he will be admitted; and the exemption ratio should not exceed one year in the faculties which follow the annual system and according to what the adequate university councils resolve based on a resolution of exemption made by the university council.
License (B.A)-Certificate-based Admission
Fifth, the License (B.A)-Certificate-holder student may be admitted to enroll in the private universities under the following conditions:
- The student’s major shall be in line with the major s/he wishes to register in according to the rules applied in the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Her/His average in the License (B.A.) Certificate should leastwise be (good).
- If her/his average in the Baccalaureate Certificate is equal to the admission ratio in the faculty in the year of admission, s/he will be admitted regardless of the License average.
- In both (2-3) cases, the student shall be treated according to the License Certificate.
- The exemption ratio in the faculties which follow the accredited hours system should not exceed 25% of the number of hours accredited in the faculty which s/he will be admitted; and the exemption ratio should not exceed one year in the faculties which follow the annual system and according to what the adequate university councils. But if the student is a Biology-Certificate-holder, s/he may be admitted in the Faculty of Pharmacy provided that the exemption should not exceed 35% of the accredited hours.
Admission for the dismissed students
- Private universities shall be permitted to admit the dismissed students of the State universities with observance of the following rules:The dismissed student who registered in the private university should be permitted to the state university in no way. In case of violation, her/his enrolment shall be cancelled in both universities and shall not be given any document by any of the two universities.
- Her/his average in the Baccalaureate Certificate should not be less than the required average for the major s/he wishes to register at the private university in the year of admission.
- To apply the rules for enrolment change and equivalent transfer (on individual basis).
- To submit evidences for the enrolment postponement in the state university s/he was dismissed at.
- The student should not be dismissed for disciplinary reasons.
- The retention time in the private university for those students shall be calculated according to the number of accredited hours which were equaled from the state university provided that each sixteen 16 accredited hour of a semester.
The student shall be exempted of the course he successfully fulfilled in cases mentioned in the previous clauses of this decision if:
- Her/His hours are equal.
- Her/His curriculum equivalent at not less than 75%.
- Her/His average in the course shall not be less than (2) according to the point grading system or 60% according to the percentage system.
- The student shall not graduate from the private university least s/he fulfilled leastwise equivalent to two academic years of the annual or semester system, or 40% leastwise of the accredited hours number in the accredited hours system.
- The student shall be given marks of success only in case of courses equivalence in accordance with the provisions of this resolution; equivalent courses shall not count in calculating the average.
- The transfer or change of enrolment or admission shall not be permitted according to the provision of this resolution on the basis of the institute certificate or the license certificate of the educational systems (Open, Virtual, Correspondence, Affiliation, and Distant) to private universities.
The private university should do the following:
- To verify that the documents the student was transferred upon are valid during the first semester from the date of his transfer.
- To do equivalence for the Baccalaureate Certificate or any other certificate upon which s/he is admitted during the first semester of his admission date.
- To a decision of equivalence upon transfer and to change the enrolment before registering her/him at the university.