The Faculty of Pharmacy is one of the prominent faculties at the Private University of Kalamoon. It was established in 2004, and the study period is 5 years.
The Faculty of Pharmacy at the Private University of Kalamoon seeks to achieve the required educational and vocational outputs to have a pharmacist prominent in all fields of pharmacy. It was impossible to achieve but for the available basics including
(1) the high quality teaching staff members dedicated to their role as the custodian of bringing the pharmaceutical education forward
(2) the distinguished infrastructure under the supervision of a good university administration which adopts distinction as the main aim doing its best to fulfill it.
The Faculty of Pharmacy at the Private University of Kalamoon seeks to achieve academic and applied distinction in the field of pharmaceutical and attached medical and applied sciences through applying up-to-date and effective teaching methods. It also forms students’ characters via creative and advanced teaching programmes ensuring the present and future requirements of pharmacy, and qualifies students to carry out their duty in the field of community and public health.
The Faculty of Pharmacy at the Private University of Kalamoon aims to prepare and qualify pharmacists to be prominent in the field of pharmaceutical specialties and careers. It also contributes to the courses of training and continuous learning in the field of pharmacy and relevant branches as well as ensuring scientific coordination between the faculty and other Arab and foreign faculties of pharmacy. These objectives are:
1. Preparing and qualifying pharmacists to be prominent in the field of pharmaceutical specialties and careers through service and production pharmacy.
2. Developing research methods and learning and making scientific references in the field of pharmacy and relevant sciences available.
3. Contributing to the courses of training and continuous learning in the field of pharmacy and relevant branches.
4. Encouraging student activities, forming students’ scientific character and guiding them to choose the optimal practical activity they would like to perform.
5. Ensuring scientific coordination between the faculty and other Arab and foreign faculties of pharmacy.
Scientific Degree Awarded:
According to a proposal from the Faculty of Pharmacy Council, the Faculty of Pharmacy at the Private University of Kalamoon awards BSc in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry after studying for 5 years. The student is required to complete 175 credit hours in addition to 10 credit hours in the internships course equivalent to 500 hours of going into real practice in pharmacies, medical laboratories and pharmaceutical factories to get the degree of the required specialty.
- Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Monitoring
- Department of Pharmacognosy and Natural Products
- Department of Analytical and Food Chemistry
- Laboratory of Pharmacology
- Laboratory of Organic Chemistry
- Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry
- Laboratory of Automated Analysis
- Laboratory of Physical Chemistry
- Laboratory Analytical Chemistry
- Laboratory of Toxicology
- Laboratory of Pharmacognosy
- Laboratory of Phytochemistry
- Laboratory of Biochemistry
- Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry
- Laboratory of Pharmaceutics
- Laboratory of Industrial Pharmacy
- Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology
- Laboratory of Specific Apparatus
- Laboratory of Microbiology
- Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Bacteriology
- Laboratory of Hematology and Immunology
- Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Laboratory of Biotechnology
- Laboratory of Drug Quality Control
Activities and Events:
The faculty did various activities and events including organizing scientific days, participation in specialist conferences and seminars or receiving them and organizing scientific trips.
Scientific days entitled:
- The First Scientific Day: “Acne”
- The Second Scientific Day: “Obesity: where do we stand?”
- The Third Scientific Day: “Psychoactive Medicines and Drugs.”
- The Fourth Scientific Day: “Botanical Medicines and Herbal Medicine.”
- The Fifth Scientific Day: “Pharmacological Food Intervention.”
- The faculty also participated in a number of pharmaceutical scientific days external parties and bodies organized.
It also organized some events including:
- a number of specialist conferences, most importantly, the First International Conference for Pharmaceutical Education and Practice.
- a seminar conducted by the Faculty of Pharmacy at the Private University of Kalamoon and the University of Michigan.
- regular participation in the conference of the Syrian American Medical Society.
- a number of training courses for students in the United States of America and in the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- scientific tours and visits to the pharmaceutical factories in the Syrian Arab Republic.
- providing students with pharmaceutical manufacturing and monitoring training courses in a number of leading pharmaceutical factories in the Syrian Arab Republic every year.
- a workshop about medical and pharmaceutical errors and quality standards in pharmaceutical practices.
- a specialist seminar for faculty students entitled “Media, Marketing and Opportunities after Graduation.”
- opening the permanent pharmaceutical exhibition in the lobby of laboratories where locally-manufactured medicines and products are shown.
- participating in receiving kids and teenagers who participated in the interactive meeting entitled “My World” as well as doing some activities in the laboratories of the Faculty of Pharmacy to introduce those kids and teenagers to the career of pharmacy.
It is noteworthy that the Faculty of Pharmacy established a virtual pharmacy inside the University to introduce and train students on how to divide a real pharmacy, arrange and categorize medicines according to local and international pharmaceutical manufacturers, read prescriptions, save medicines and pharmaceutical products and create and classify special files.